cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper VI
Helper VI

Security improvement suggestion

Hello.
I'm Adrian and recently I have become very aware of the "dark side" of the net.
My websites started to be attacked from different countries (mostly Russia, Ukraine and China).
In some cases from static IP-s and other from proxies or from the Tor network.
GoDaddy offer us the possibility to block specific IP or IP range but that it's very inefficient and time consuming, so I have search online another solution.

In order to block the Tor network I have found here http://mikhailian.mova.org/node/194 a solution.

http://i.imgur.com/P0nxRY1.jpg

Unfortunately on the shared hosting accounts we do not have access to the ipsec and iptables commands so if someone have any suggestion on how to block the Tor network I will be very grateful.

I think that GoDaddy should implement at least 2 server-side services:
1- to block on request specific countries (one or more)
2- to block on request the Tor network

Thank you all for taking the time to participate on this debate.

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Security improvement suggestion

Hey @Adrian8,

Moved this discussion from our Community Suggestions since this is more related to Web Hosting. 

Although an interesting suggestion for implementing some server side functions, I know from many of the administrator and developer's viewpoints there will be some cause for concerns since this a Shared Hosting environment we're talking about. As such, any kind of server side update is going to affect the entire environment for all users and could cause more problems in stopping legitimate traffic or even access for some users using the same server from a location you're attempting to block.

With that said, I did pass along your feedback for consideration in that this might spark some internal discussions on other alternatives to provide a similar functionality in future updates to be planned. Till then, I understand it might be possible to script in a solution utilizing curl to a list file that Tor provides here to also be utilized within your .htaccess file. 

I'm going to send you a private message with the specific script example that was suggested from one of our developers. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: Security improvement suggestion

@CGthank you for giving us your thoughts on the matter.

I agree that the solution it's easy to implement on a VPS or a Dedicated Server but does raise the question if all the members of a sharing host will agree with the solution.

The Tor Network it is used to protect identity of the users, that been said I do not agree that any legitimate traffic can come from that network to a GoDaddy server.
No site like Wikileaks or a major news company will ever use a shared hosting so there is no reason to protect your identity on GoDaddy hosted websites Smiley Happy

Thank you very much @CG for the private message. I will try to implement your solution.

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.