cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper II

Should I choose cPanel or Plesk for using third-party SSLs?

I host (as a community service) a few tiny charity or community sites for the local community (a mere 4,000 people). Obviously, paying a few hundred pounds (I'm in the UK) for GoDaddy's SSL is unaffordable for what I provide as a free charitable service at my own cost.

I'm on GoDaddy's legacy system, which doesn't support third-party SSLs. Therefore, to use a low-cost or free SSL (such as Let's Encrypt), I need to migrate to a newer plan, either cPanel or Plesk.

I'm familiar with neither cPanel nor Plesk. I can find instructions for how to fairly easily install Let's Encrypt on cPanel using either the GUI or the CLI, but not for how to install it on Plesk.

Question: Can Plesk reasonably easily install third-party SSLs including Let's Encrypt? And, if so, which would you recommend for me: cPanel or Plesk?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @PaddyLandau, thanks for posting.

You will also want to keep in mind how the site was built. If it's based on PHP, I would suggest cPanel. If it's using a Windows only language, like ASPX, you will need to use Plesk.

Let's Encrypt SSLs can be installed on cPanel hosting, but it's not supported and GoDaddy Support wouldn't be able to assist with the process. It does require some technical know-how to install.

Plesk does support installing 3rd party SSLs, but Let's Encrypt hasn't been widely tested or used on Plesk.

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @PaddyLandau, thanks for posting.

You will also want to keep in mind how the site was built. If it's based on PHP, I would suggest cPanel. If it's using a Windows only language, like ASPX, you will need to use Plesk.

Let's Encrypt SSLs can be installed on cPanel hosting, but it's not supported and GoDaddy Support wouldn't be able to assist with the process. It does require some technical know-how to install.

Plesk does support installing 3rd party SSLs, but Let's Encrypt hasn't been widely tested or used on Plesk.

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

View solution in original post

Thank you, @GaryA. It's a PHP-based website (WordPress) on a Linux platform, so that means cPanel, then.