cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a subfolder to a Managed Wordpress site. Can this be done?

I have a managed Godaddy Managed WP site. I want to create a subfolder for my blog so I can have better control of it. Not wanting it in the root. Do want it on the same url. There is no Cpanel so how can this be done? I don't want a subdomain or another site btw. TIA for any help.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Adding a subfolder to a Managed Wordpress site. Can this be done?

Hi @cloudman. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! 

You would be able to make a directory within your Managed WordPress (MWP) plan by connecting via SFTP and managing the files that way. However, you won't be able to move any of your core WordPress files to a different directory. MWP core files are protected and can't be changed or moved. While this may seem like a limitation, it's part of the security of the platform. If you want to set up a more complex directory structure for your WordPress blog, you'd need to consider using a different platform, like cPanel. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Re: Adding a subfolder to a Managed Wordpress site. Can this be done?

Hi @cloudman,

If you want to run WP from a folder you will have to use a cPanel type setup AND you'll need to make sure that your .htaccess and all related info is correctly mapped. 

Regardless of which hosting company you use if you are on a MANAGED WP platform, you'll essentially be running in a root or limited structure site.  While you are able to run WPMU on some managed platforms, its still done within a restricted processor/resource framework.   Only when you moved out of a "managed" environment will you be able to do folder level installs, and then you have to do all of the necessary server setup as well.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites