cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Fatal Error on my Wordpress blog using Godaddy domain: www.agentsuccesscoach.com.

After updating a plug-in for I can't access website...can anyone help me? Thx

Here's only thing that shows up on my screen:

Fatal error: Can't use function return value in write context in /home/content/26/12246026/html/wp-content/plugins/social-media-feather/synved-connect/synved-connect-support.php on line 11

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@weisdan 

A cPanel can manage several sites.  The File Manager shows you all the files within on that one cPanel account.  IOW, you could have a primary site and then have a sub-directory with agentsuccesscoach.com.

If the referenced domain is not on that particular cPanel hosting account, you have to look in the hosting account that it is mapped to.   The domain you reference does have GoDaddy nameservers and the error message you provided notes that domain as well.  This means you need to look for that plugin's directory on the hosting where agentsuccesscoach.com is located.

The directory name for that plugin was just an example.  I don't know what it actually is because I've never used that plugin.  Generally speaking, however, the directory name is similar to the plugin name -- so look for something close.

As far as starting over, I don't know the amount of work you've put into the site for the last couple of years.  Try to recover or rebuild from scratch -- that is your decision to make. 😉

Judith
"Be a voice. Not an echo." ~ Anon

View solution in original post

Community Manager

Hi @weisdan. It sounds like you have one of our older Web Hosting plans. The advice given by @Muse is excellent and worth following. However, to edit your files in your hosting account, you'll need to use this information. Hope it helps. 

To Edit Website Content Using the File Manager

1. Log in to your Account Manager.
  2. Click Web Hosting.
  3. Next to the hosting account you want to use, click Manage.
  4. From the Files & FTP section, click File Manager.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

12 REPLIES 12
Super User II

@weisdan 

You should receive an email from your WordPress installation guiding you on gaining access.   If you don't receive that email, we'll have to disable that plugin.

If you are on cPanel, you can use your File Manager to do this.  Rename that plugin's directory (right/click, rename) by adding OFF after the current Social Media Feather directory name.  (Or you can use FTP to access.)

Then try to access your admin again.  If you can access, you apparently have a conflict and should find another plugin that plays nice with your setup.  If you still cannot access, it is probably a combo of things, so follow the same process and rename the entire main plugin directory by adding OFF.

If you can access after that -- you know another plugin is causing the conflict.  At that point it is a process of elimination (activate each plugin one by one until the problem pops up again) to determine which plugin is at the root of the conflict.

If you still cannot gain access, that indicates your theme or possibly any custom coding, or code additions/modifications you may have made.  And that would be too much to easily troubleshoot here.

HTH! 😉

Judith

Can you disable that plug in?

I don't know how to do any of this cPanel or FTP stuff.

Is there any other way to access my WP-login dashboard page?

I'm wondering if I just need to start all over with a new WP site?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

* Dan Weis *

*Real Estate Advisor since 1985, Comey & Shepherd Realtors*
*513-615-1890 <513-615-1890> / dan@danweis.com /
www.DanWeis.com*

Hey, Dan @weisdan,

I know this is frustrating and a bit scary -- but you don't have to start over! 😉    The plugin noted in the error message has to be deactivated so that you can access your dashboard and take it from there. 

Plugin conflicts happen and in most cases deactivating the bad actor solves the problem and you can gt back to business.  If we get you through this, you'll know what to do in the future.  

Which hosting platform are you on?

Judith

Godaddy

Sent from my iPhone

@weisdan 

GoDaddy shared hosting or Managed WordPress hosting?

Judith

I don't have "Managed WP hosting" because godaddy says I haven't created a
site yet.

This is what I get when my WP site is updated:

WordPress wordpress@agentsuccesscoach.com via

p3nlhg1261.shr.prod.phx3.secureserver.net
Wed, Jun 10, 9:38 PM
to me
Howdy! Your site at http://agentsuccesscoach.com has been updated
automatically to WordPress 5.1.6.

For more on version 5.1.6, see the About WordPress screen:
http://agentsuccesscoach.com/wp-admin/about.php

WordPress 5.4.2 is also now available. Updating is easy and only takes a
few moments:
http://agentsuccesscoach.com/wp-admin/update-core.php

If you experience any issues or need support, the volunteers in the
WordPress.org support forums may be able to help.
https://wordpress.org/support/

Keeping your site updated is important for security. It also makes the
internet a safer place for you and your readers.

The WordPress Team

@weisdan 

You have an installation or it couldn't have updated.  When did you setup this hosting -- a while ago?

Based on the above it appears to be an installation that has not been updated for a quite awhile if WP 5.1X is being mentioned.   5.0 was a pretty substantial update and plugins and themes had to update to be compatible.

So if this is a pretty old installation, we could have bigger problems than can be resolved here.  But we can still give it a whirl. 😉

Is your web hosting with GoDaddy?  If so, what type of hosting is displayed in your GoDaddy account dashboard?  Go to your "My Products" area in your GoDaddy account.  Then share the name/description of your hosting account.

The platform you are on dictates how I can guide you step by step. 😉

Judith

5.1 was the last update on June 10, 2020
(then it asked me to update plug-ins)

*Economy Web Hosting Linux*

agentsuccesscoach.com

@weisdan

So, 5.0 came out 12/18, 5.2 2/19. You have a severely outdated installation and there could be a slew of issues involved (and I hope you weren't hacked).

To try and gain access to your WordPress installation, go back into your GoDaddy dashboard for hosting and head over to your hosting cPanel File Manager. Here's how.

=> Then navigate to the public_html directory and click on that.
=> Look for the wp-content directory, click on that.
=> Go to the plugins directory, click on that.
=> Find the Social Media Feather directory. Right click > Rename > Add OFF to the end of the directory name. (example: socialmediafeatherOFF). That will deactivate this particular plugin noted in the error message you provided.
=> Then try to login to your dashboard again.

If you are successful that means just that one plugin was the issue. But I wouldn't be surprised if we get another error as SMF is a plugin that keeps up and was just updated 3 weeks ago.

So I'm thinking it is because everything is so outdated it could cause a domino effect.  At that point you would need to have someone do a forensic review of your theme, plugins and configuration to get your site up to speed (WP 5.5 and PHP 7.X) will need to be done.

HTH!

Judith

the Cpanel is for my main website...not agentsuccesscoach.com.
I've been working and searching for awhile and can't find social
media feather directory that you mentioned. I found the different
buttons, but nothing for SMF.

It would probably be okay to start all over again with a new WP blog.
Should I just do that?

@weisdan 

A cPanel can manage several sites.  The File Manager shows you all the files within on that one cPanel account.  IOW, you could have a primary site and then have a sub-directory with agentsuccesscoach.com.

If the referenced domain is not on that particular cPanel hosting account, you have to look in the hosting account that it is mapped to.   The domain you reference does have GoDaddy nameservers and the error message you provided notes that domain as well.  This means you need to look for that plugin's directory on the hosting where agentsuccesscoach.com is located.

The directory name for that plugin was just an example.  I don't know what it actually is because I've never used that plugin.  Generally speaking, however, the directory name is similar to the plugin name -- so look for something close.

As far as starting over, I don't know the amount of work you've put into the site for the last couple of years.  Try to recover or rebuild from scratch -- that is your decision to make. 😉

Judith

Community Manager

Hi @weisdan. It sounds like you have one of our older Web Hosting plans. The advice given by @Muse is excellent and worth following. However, to edit your files in your hosting account, you'll need to use this information. Hope it helps. 

To Edit Website Content Using the File Manager

1. Log in to your Account Manager.
  2. Click Web Hosting.
  3. Next to the hosting account you want to use, click Manage.
  4. From the Files & FTP section, click File Manager.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.