cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper II

How to Migrate a WordPress site from standard hosting to Managed WordPress hosting

I was not able to use the 'wizard' (my name for it) within Managed Wordpress to migrate my site from standard/classic hosting (Linux/cPanel) to the Managed Wordpress hosting. Some technical glitch apparently. I called GoDaddy support and they were exceptionally helpful, as always. Robot Happy

They made the migration happen, but when we got to the part where we needed to release my domain from standard/classic hosting (Linux/cPanel), and then apply my domain to my new Managed WordPress hosting account, I told the tech fellow, "Oh I can take it from here." We had been on the phone for 35 minutes by that point, and I *thought* I knew what I was doing. Ha!

I struggled for almost two hours trying to figure it out. I read all the GoDaddy documentation I could find, but frankly, it needs to be improved - on this topic, and in general. But that's another topic. 

The good news is I stumbled across a web page and accompanying video that shows how to do it from start to finish. The guy explains it in a very understandable way, showing you the screen as he does it (in the video - screen shots on the web page). Highly recommended!

In fact, I think GoDaddy should link to his video. He praises GoDaddy in the vid, even though he has his own company (or works for a company, I don't know). 

Here is the web article - "How to Migrate to GoDaddy Managed WordPress Hosting":

https://wpsmackdown.com/migrate-to-godaddy-wordpress-hosting/

And the accompanying video:

https://youtu.be/r71bvBNBxw4

I suggest starting with the video, and refer to the article (web page) if needed. 

~ Mark

Mark D Worthen PsyD
Clinical-Forensic Psychology
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Advocate VII

Hi @mdwpsyd,

Good post!  I did take a look at the page you suggested and there were indeed some very good instructions.  I've done this several times and have found a couple of keys to make it go pretty easy.  Before you update your temporary domain to a live one the one that is going live cannot be hosted.  Essentially, you have to complete all of your A-record and IP assignments before trying to make the domain live.  You will also need to rename (or reassign) your domain for c-Panel hosting installation.  This way you can keep all of your data around until you are sure that all is working well.  I often take one of the TDL's (.net, org, biz) as my temporary backup. Not knowing this ahead of time can really slow things down.

As far as migrating sites, I've had a couple of hiccups with the GoDaddy migration plugin.  However, I've used the UpDraftPlus.com backup and migration suite for years.  Its a GoDaddy approved plugin and has worked when the GoDaddy migrator did not.

The other consideration before shutting down hosting is your email and other services associated with your account and domain.  Do not close the hosting account until you are sure that your email hosting doesn't disappear with the c-panel hosting. Had this one bite me one time!

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Advocate VII

Hi @mdwpsyd,

Good post!  I did take a look at the page you suggested and there were indeed some very good instructions.  I've done this several times and have found a couple of keys to make it go pretty easy.  Before you update your temporary domain to a live one the one that is going live cannot be hosted.  Essentially, you have to complete all of your A-record and IP assignments before trying to make the domain live.  You will also need to rename (or reassign) your domain for c-Panel hosting installation.  This way you can keep all of your data around until you are sure that all is working well.  I often take one of the TDL's (.net, org, biz) as my temporary backup. Not knowing this ahead of time can really slow things down.

As far as migrating sites, I've had a couple of hiccups with the GoDaddy migration plugin.  However, I've used the UpDraftPlus.com backup and migration suite for years.  Its a GoDaddy approved plugin and has worked when the GoDaddy migrator did not.

The other consideration before shutting down hosting is your email and other services associated with your account and domain.  Do not close the hosting account until you are sure that your email hosting doesn't disappear with the c-panel hosting. Had this one bite me one time!

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

View solution in original post

when i tried to migrate from cpanel to managed WP via migrate existing website option then after WP admin Username and Password WHY it does not ask for FTP user name and password.???

once before i did this and at that time it asked for FTP login information too. But this time not asking for FTP login detail. 

if i keep on doing then instead of migration existing site it creates a new managed wordpress site. 

Can anyone help that what to do???

I designed a Wordpress webesite for a friend using one of my unused domains on GoDaddy. Now that the site is ready, I would like to transfer this over to him for hosting on his GoDaddy hosted site.  I know that if I were transferring this from one of my domains to another of mine, it would be pretty easy.  Is there a recommended way of doing this when going across accounts?

He currently has a non-wordpress website already hosted with GoDaddy and this one I created is going to be a replacement of that domain.  Any help or recommendations is greatly appreciated.