cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Inability to update PHP 5 to 7.2

So, I bought the SSL certificates (which I thought were overpriced, BTW), updated the .htaccess file and redirected my page from HTTP to HTTPS. But now Word Press is telling me my site will not *truly* be secure unless I update the PHP version to 7.x.  So I go to my Linux control panel and see my site is under PHP 5.x.  I look into this further,  read some community threads and this is what I found:

(1) that there is no way to update PHP past 5.x because I have an older plan.  Yes, I've been with Godaddy for 15 years, maybe longer.  And

(2)  I must purchase a NEW plan to get PHP 7.x (according to the Godaddy moderator) and further,

(3) I must migrate the site myself.  They provided a link to that.

(4) So, even if I install a "Force SSL" plugin to automatically make all pages ssl secured (and take care of mixed content message)  - will my site ever be fully secure without the PHP update? What's the value of the SSL Cert if I stay on my current plan?

Am I missing something?

I don't understand the logic behind this.  Is there is a technical reasons for this or is this a forced migration to newer, presumably more expensive, hosting plans?

If I have to go to all this trouble, including migrating my sites and pay more money for a new plan - what's my incentive to stay with Godaddy? Inertia?  Wouldn't most people just shop around for better plans with lower SSL Certs? 

As someone who works in software & tech, I just don't understand the business strategy behind this decision.  Maybe for every customer you lose you convert another... but surely you must understand the bad word of mouth is very hard to quantify.  And with the high cost of customer acquisition why drive old customers away?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Re: Inability to update PHP 5 to 7.2

Hi @glennismc

Welcome to the Community!

It sounds like you may be hosting on the older hosting plans from the earlier part of this century. GoDaddy has made several updates to these servers to ensure their function, but - just like PCs and smart phones - changing technology means the servers can only be updated so far. If this is  the case (and you're not on the newer cPanel hosting plan), eventually you'll have to move to a new server if you wish to run on current software. WordPress is open source software, and outdated PHP versions can make you more susceptible to malware.

As WordPress will continue making updates, they eventually will not longer support PHP 5.6. If you're still on the current, older plan, it will cause your website to break. We encourage users to migrate to cPanel before any WordPress updates take place. You can purchase a cPanel plan, install WordPress, and migrate the website yourself. A newer plan ca be purchased at a comparable cost. (Or you can contact our hosting support, if you want to schedule a paid migration.)

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Solution

Re: Inability to update PHP 5 to 7.2

Hi @glennismc

Welcome to the Community!

It sounds like you may be hosting on the older hosting plans from the earlier part of this century. GoDaddy has made several updates to these servers to ensure their function, but - just like PCs and smart phones - changing technology means the servers can only be updated so far. If this is  the case (and you're not on the newer cPanel hosting plan), eventually you'll have to move to a new server if you wish to run on current software. WordPress is open source software, and outdated PHP versions can make you more susceptible to malware.

As WordPress will continue making updates, they eventually will not longer support PHP 5.6. If you're still on the current, older plan, it will cause your website to break. We encourage users to migrate to cPanel before any WordPress updates take place. You can purchase a cPanel plan, install WordPress, and migrate the website yourself. A newer plan ca be purchased at a comparable cost. (Or you can contact our hosting support, if you want to schedule a paid migration.)

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post