cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from Subdomain to Main results in 404's

I followed GoDaddy's instructions to the letter from this page on moving a developed WordPress site from the development domain to the main directory.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/move-my-wordpress-site-to-a-different-directory-web-and-classic-hosting...

But, of course, it didn't work. (I say "of course" because I've had it with GoDaddy and their terrible support, support files, and things just not going as they say they will — installing this initially was hours of heartache, and only worked once I followed another user's directions, and not GoDaddy's).

The Home page comes up, but ALL subsequent pages result in a 404.  I couldn't even log into my admin page at first, and had to use the full "/wp-admin/" URL to log in (and not simply "admin"). I tried the permalink solution (go to Permalinks, and click Save), but that didn't do anything.

There is no htaccess file in my WP root folder, so I added the standard one. Didn't work. I removed it again. No change. 

Edit: I just went through the database and replaced all the old URLs with the new URLs. This did NOT work either. (Example:   dev.url.com to www.url.com)

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix?  Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Re: Moving from Subdomain to Main results in 404's

Hi @JohnArtist3,

This issue has already been addressed here. Take a look!

KayJay - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support