cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

My WordPress site takes too long to load

I have called numerous times and complained about how darn slow my website loads.  This morning it took 40.28 seconds to initially load.  Mobile devices usually timeout.  Once I've loaded the site, I can navigate around without problem.  The problem seems to be the amount of time required to secure the site.  In other words, if you watch the site load, it takes too much time for the secure icon on the browser to appear.  And it doesn't matter which browser; I have them all.  Of course, every time I call GoDaddy about this, I'm told to run GTmetrix and told everything is fine and fast and then they try to sell me something.  No other website I try runs this slow.  I'm tired of hearing people tell my website is crap and having it timeout in front of customers.  I need this fixed or I'm going to move my website somewhere else.  Please stop telling everything is running fine and instead provide a solution.  http://usormeco.com if anyone is interested in posting a solution.  Sorry to vent, but I'm supposed to be selling services, not spending this much time worrying about website performance. Can someone please tell me what to do?  

5 REPLIES 5
Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Re: My WordPress site takes too long to load

Hi @kbrook13,

What platform are you using?  This will make a huge difference in how to approach the isssue.  There is quite a long checklist to iron out wordpress performance.

I took a look at your site and yes it did take too long to load.  However, I did run GTMetrix and your site stats look outstanding.  A couple of things to perhaps check. 

One will be your memory/resource alloctation.  How this is done is dependent upon your platform.  Essentially, it is an update to a ".ini" file and the wp-config file.  Number 2, the actual size of your logo, but in this case I do not think this is the problem.

I ran a quick check at pingdom.com and there are some long "wait times".  I would ask the theme developers/support to take a look at this one as well as GoDaddy. 

Let us know your platform so we might be able to deliver some insight!

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

Thank you so much for trying to help!  Finally, someone who agrees the website takes too long to load, and yes, all these web-based speed checkers like GTMetrix says it's fast.  This is only true once you've loaded initially.  My question is why do these sites say the site is fast, yet ignore the amount of time it requires to initially load; that doesn't make sense to me.

I do not know how to answer your question about "platform".  Everything is on GoDaddy. I use Hoot UBix and WordPress; everything is done through GoDaddy.  Can you tell me what to look for in my account that would answer this question? 

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Hi @kbrook13,

By platform I mean cPanel vs Managed WP hosting vs Virtual Server...   This is the actual software/hardware configuration that matches your plan.  For example, in managedwp hosting you  have very few parameter settings while in cPanel there are quite a few available.  In virtual and dedicated server environments you set EVERYTHING!

Hope this helps,

James

I really, really, appreciate your help. Under my account settings, it says "Basic managed WordPress" 

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I
Solution

Hi @kbrook13,

Have you installed a cache plugin?  I have made the mistake of installing a plugin that caches the sites' pages while on a managed wp platform.  Because GoDaddy already has a cache system setup, the cache plugins are not needed.  Sometimes, having one installed slows everything down instead of speeds it up.  This is one situation where everything looks right systematically, but the site cannot perform at top speed.  Essentially, the server is saying "which version of the page should I actually show the visitor."  It takes a while to decide.

Hope this helps,

James