cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

New WordPress Site Question

Hi- This is the first time I'm using WordPress, and have a couple questions I hope someone could answer for me.

My client currently has a Godaddy hosted website, let's call it domain.com, but are looking to convert it to a WordPress site. What they would like to do is test and prepare their new WordPress site in the background before making it live, and then flipping the switch for domain.com to look at WordPress when they're ready.

I see inside the Godaddy panel that I can install Wordpress into a certain domain. How/what paths would I have to select to have Wordpress install into a "temporary" location that can be accessed by something like wordpress.domain.com or domain.com/wordpress. I can't take down their current site, and I need to somehow in Godaddy change the pointer for where the live site is once it's ready. Is this possible?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

4 REPLIES 4
Helper V

Re: New WordPress Site Question

@tdyjdgjghh

@tdyjdgjghh wrote:

Hi- This is the first time I'm using WordPress, and have a couple questions I hope someone could answer for me.

My client currently has a Godaddy hosted website, let's call it domain.com, but are looking to convert it to a WordPress site. What they would like to do is test and prepare their new WordPress site in the background before making it live, and then flipping the switch for domain.com to look at WordPress when they're ready.

I see inside the Godaddy panel that I can install Wordpress into a certain domain. How/what paths would I have to select to have Wordpress install into a "temporary" location that can be accessed by something like wordpress.domain.com or domain.com/wordpress. I can't take down their current site, and I need to somehow in Godaddy change the pointer for where the live site is once it's ready. Is this possible?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hi there,

Why cant they make a sub domain for wordpress to live ? If only temporary by going into their cpanel and making a sub domain..... install wordpress if that is you have installatron or some other package installed on your server? If for some reason they can not go into their cpanel you go in their and do this for them?

First they or you have to make the sub domain, then the sub domain will show on the list of places to install wordpress.

Non of this should effect their current site and no need get in touch with godaddy. Within their file manager they or you will see their sub domain, that is where their wordpress installation will be living. 

Remember make sure your sever can run wordpress Smiley Wink

Hope this helps

Mrsroadrunner Photography
Highlighted
Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I
Solution

Hi @tdyjdgjghh,

Have you considered using a managed wordpress hosting plan?  This would allow you to completely develop on a temporary domain until your work is finished.  To switch the site, all you would have to do is use the dialogue boxes within  managed wordpress to handle most of the dns assignment.  The most you would have to do is change an A record and possibly a CName.   The DNS management within the managed wordpress is one of its better features!

Hope this helps!

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites
Solution

You can do this 2 ways.

Route #1: If you are on a managed WordPress hosting platform, you can actually build on the temporary domain name provided until you are ready to make the switch. 

Route #2: If you are using the CPanel hosting, you can create a subdomain name for the website to be temporarily built on within their hosting account for the testing phase. Once approved, it would be easy to make the switch to the WordPress site.

Solution

You could, and should, at some point familiarize yourself with some offline options that you can use to build said website prior to deployment. XAMPP (https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html) is a very common (and free!) package that allows for a minimal local installation of an apache, mysql, mariaDB, and PHP packages which are generally used in web development. You can install as many Content Management Systems (CMS) like Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, etc. locally and once your site is ready, it is generally a matter of uploading it to a working server for final delivery.

Similar package can be found here: 

AMPPS - https://www.ampps.com/downloads

WAMP - http://www.wampserver.com/en/