cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Printing Webpage Issues

We have the WordPress Accension theme. The header image won't print. Links show up below images. Buttons won't print, but show the link instead. All of my "print background image" settings are turned on. The browser we use is Chrome. 

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a specific code to add to the CSS under the customize theme? Or, is there an incorrect setting causing these issues to happen? How do I fix this?

Here is a brief screenshot of my dilemma:

Screenshot (5).png

6 REPLIES 6
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Printing Webpage Issues

By default, when a user prints a WordPress web page that is not designed with printing in mind, the style sheet is stripped away and the page prints as if there is no style sheet. It tends to look like a long line of information beginning with your header, the content, then the long list that is your sidebar, then footer.

To see what your WordPress site looks like for printing, print out a page or, from your browser's menu, choose Print > Print Preview.

To make your site pretty to print, we need to focus on the architecture of the site, the structure that holds the content within each section.

The core structure for most WordPress sites is as follows, though the names may be different on your Theme.

#header
#content
#comments
#sidebar (or #menu)
#footer

Creating a Print Style Sheet

To create an independent style sheet featuring all of your print styles:

1. Create a text file called print.css.
  2. Save it to your WordPress Theme folder.
  3. Type (or paste) in the following to get the print styles started and save the file:
/* Print Style Sheet */
@media print {
body { background:white; color:black; margin:0; }
}

4. Create a link in the head section of your header.php template file as follows:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" 
href="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_directory'); ?>/print.css" />

Zulfiqar Anees | Founder/CEO at FastTech Media, TechMag, and ZulWeb | GoDaddy Pro.
Super User I
Super User I

Hello @A1Marketing ,

That is a good overview, cause I just realized the same thing on my WordPress. It actually look like my print preview is trying to print the mobile version of my page. 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

Thank you, @Zulfiqar Zulfiqar. I know a little about the coding, such as where the custom css area is on the appearance tab. Unfortunately, I have not found the header.php template, or the style sheet for this theme by digging through the settings & tabs on the admin panel. Through further googling, it appears that the style sheets for this particular theme have been hidden and no one has been able to access the back end to update certain aspects.

Would you happen to have a work around for this? Or, offer a bit more assistance on how/where to plug in the snippet of code you mentioned before?

Thank you.

Yes, @davisdre317 Drew, infuriating, isn't it? Have you ran across any fixes for this dilemma? I have been unsuccessful with the GoDaddy support, thus am reaching out here. 

Thanks!

Amanda with a1jet.com

Super User I
Super User I

Hello @A1Marketing ,

Check out this article from wpbeginner. I've used them quite a bit myself in solving my issues/learning something new. 

Let me know if it helps you out!

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

Thank you, Drew. I will take a look at it. This may be our only option at this point.

Amanda with a1jet.com