cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Creating Second WordPress Web Site on Godaddy Hosting

I started out using my Godaddy hosting for multiple HTML 2.0/3.0 Web sites; eventually I pared the list down to two, each of which had multiple Godaddy-registered domains pointed at them.

Some time back I successfully rebuilt/redesigned/ported one of those HTML 2/3 sites as a WordPress site; I placed the content in the subdirectory [primarydomainname]/wp/, built the site over a period of time, then when it was ready to go live redirected the domain to that subdirectory. This WP site is functioning just fine for me.

When I tried to begin transitioning the second, larger site to WP by the same process, I ran into a wall. I added the second website in the WP dashboard using the My Sites > Network Admin > Sites function and pointed it at [seconddomainname]/wp/ in the same way I had the first site.

The domain2 site shows in My Sites, but neither the site itself nor the dashboard for it will open--I get a 404 error.

I know it's supposed to be possible to host multiple WP sites on one hosting account, but I can't for the life of me figure out what's misconfigured and stopping me.

In terms of actual file structure on the server, it logically looks like this:

Original HTML Site 1 ---  / (root directory of domain1)

WP Port of Site 1 --- domain1root/wp/

WP Dashboard of Site 1 -- domain1root/wp/wp-admin/

So, in theory it should be:

Original HTML Site 2 ---  domain1root/domain2/

WP Port of Site 2 --- domain1root/domain2/wp/

WP Dashboard of Site 2 --- domain1root/domain2/wp/wp-admin/

But those subdirectories have not been created by My Sites the way they were for domain1.

Can anyone see what mistake I'm making trying to create the second WP site?

Thanks in advance for any help.

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Problem Creating Second WordPress Web Site on Godaddy Hosting

Hi @mikekmac. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! 

From what you've described, it sounds like you tried to add your second WordPress site as part of a WordPress Multisite install. That is probably what's causing you difficulty. You should be able to install the second WordPress instance on its own. There are different automatic processes for this depending on the type of hosting plan you have. If you have a cPanel account, you can install WordPress via the Applications tab. You can choose which domain and directory to install WordPress to, which should allow you to do what it sounds like you want to do. Hope that helps. If not, feel free to provide more information. Others in the community may be able to provide you with additional suggestions.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am trying to create/run multiple sites on a WordPress multisite network, from a single instance of WordPress. I have GoDaddy Windows hosting. I don't the understand meaning of "cPanel account", which I've seen several times in my reading these last two days--I do have access to a Control Panel here on GoDaddy for managing my hosting. That's where I've been able to examine the file structure of my account, among other things.

I installed WordPress on this site more than a year ago (when it was supporting multiple HTML 2/3 sites with their own domains), and enabled Multisite several months later. The migration of my primary site to WP went smoothly, so I am currently successfully running a WP site out of alternities.com/wp, and a legacy HTML 2.0/3.0 site out of alternities.com/yorkship (which has its own domain yorkship.org). It is this legacy site that I want to migrate to WP, and the primary reason for trying Multisite.

I have all the expected Multisite menus and controls in Dashboard, and have ostensibly been able to create additional sites (yorkship and two other test sites). In the file structure, WordPress wants to place these as subdirectories of /wp (for example alternities.com/wp/yorkship). When I bring up my Sites list in Dashboard and select Visit for one of the new sites, I get either a 404 error or the Something Cool is Coming! page. When I select Dashboard for any of the new sites, I get a long wait and then an error page. I cannot get to the Dashboard for any site other than my primary, alterntiies.com/wp/

I'm wondering if I ended up with a nonstandard installation of WordPress somehow, since all of the wp folders and files are in that subdirectory /wp (off the root), and not in public_html (a folder I have seen mentioned many times while reading for solutions, but which does not exist in my file structure--unless it is functionally the same as the root directory). I have been trying to find references to what a standard Multisite file structure looks like so I can compare mine.

I am trying to avoid having to blow up everything, including my two working sites, to fix this. I'm not adverse to working under the hood, editing configuration files, etc.

Any further guidance would be appreciated.

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Hi @mikekmac,

Have you mapped all of your domains/folders?  When using a multi-site installation in addition to the file structure, there is also a "domain mapping" structure that must be put into place.  This is most easily done by using a plugin to map the domains secondary to your primary install.  From what you are describing it sounds like your installation is basically not able to determine "which installation goes with which domain."  If you haven't taken the explicit steps required for this mapping everything can go south in a hurry.   I too, have had these problems and its not always an easy fix.

One of the keys to getting everything properly installed is the preparation ahead of time.  This means knowing the proper access requirements, whether you are assigning the site dns attributers by folder or subdomain name, common theme/plugin assignments, etc.  My experience has been that I have to spend much more time planning a multi-site install.  In attempting to fix this, find these dependencies.

Here is a good article from WordPress on setting up multi-site.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

Without taking a look at your specific case, it looks like you'll have to reset some paths/permissions parameters.  Some of this might require actually going into the db and making the changes, etc.  

Here is a search I did at WPMUDev -- It gives quite a list of clearly written articles on the MU setup.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/?s=multisite

While I wish that I could say that there is a simple fix in front of us for this,  I'm don't think it is the case.  However, we can always hope!

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites