cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Uploading WordPress themes and PHP Limit. How to increase?

Hi,

I've just started working on my website and I was trying to upload the Avada WordPress Theme and I got an error that says:

The uploaded file exceeds the upload_max_filesize directive in php.ini.

I have no idea what this means and how exactly to increase my limit. Now I have googled this and there are too many things out there that are far too technical for me to understand. If you have any simple suggestions on how to do this, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

48 REPLIES 48
Advocate I
Solution

Re: PHP Limit Increase

Create a text file on your PC and paste this in it:

memory_limit = 128M

upload_max_filesize = 100M

post_max_size = 128M

If you are using cPanel, name the file php.ini.  If you're using one of the older Classic Hosting Linux servers, call the file php5.ini.

Upload the file to the root directory of your hosting plan.  For cPanel, that would be public_html.  For the older servers, it's just the main / folder.

Give it a couple of hours since it has to wait for the server to do a soft reset after you make changes.  If you have cPanel, go to the PHP processes area and kill the processes.  After that will will recognize the new php.ini file immediately. Otherwise, like I said, wait a couple of hours.

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

Does this override server .ini?

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com

That worked!!! Thank you so much!

New

On CPanel with Linux.  I understand from the documentation that I can use php.ini or user.ini.  I've tried both, but still get 413 error "The requested resource
/barcode/html/BCGean13.php
does not allow request data with GET requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit"

I've stopped the processes and restarted them too, but still get the error.  Any ideas?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @wotiso

I see that you posted this issue as part of a new thread, so I will respond there.

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Building-and-Managing-a-Website/PHP-limits-not-working-in-CPanel-w...

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

I also need to do this but I have a managed wordpress site. Do I even have a cpanel? I don't think so. So can I do this with ftp? Thanks so much in advance.

New

If you've got your own self hosted wordpress site, you can try this:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-increase-file-size-for-media-upload

I'm still waiting to hear if I can do this with a managed wordpress site. Do I need to do this with ftp? Thanks so much in advance.

Advocate I

When I tried overriding the master php.ini with a php.ini or user.ini file, it failed. Killing processes did not work. Tech support, after a lot of pondering, helped me to find this solution:

Go to software and select "Select PHP version" to arrive at a page that list the PHP extensions

In the upper right corner, select "Switch to PHP options"

Here you can change most of the settings that users want to change.

Thanks... This was the fix for me, using shared hosting.

New

This worked and was the easiest solution. I suggest anyone else having this problem tries this first.

In case anybody else stumbles across this thread the wording you look for is:-

upload_max_filesize

Then increase that one. Worked for me. I set it to 16mb using the div them from Elegant themes

New

Awesome! Thanks for the information!

FrankA Thank you for the guide. 

Thank you so much!

New

Frank A...."Brilliant"!!! 

Thank you!!

best solution ever

Thank you,

That worked for me.

This worked like a charm for me wohoo, thanks heaps Smiley Happy

New

G-d bless you!

This is the fix that instantly worked! Thanks! Smiley Happy

Thanks a ton man. Worked like a charm

Brilliant, thank you!

You're a savior! Thank You Smiley Happy

This was freaking awesome. I thought I needed to get a developer to help with this. Exactly what I needed! Thank you!

Re: Uploading WordPress themes and PHP Limit. How to increase?

Thank you! got it to work with your instructions!

New

I need to modify the PHP configuration as well, however I don't have cPanel. I have a Basic Managed WordPress Website (via GoDaddy), and I can't figure out where to find these files or settings. Any Ideas?

That worked for me.  I truly appreciate your time and efforts.

Thanks! It worked for me.

Frank A has the easiest solution if you have cpanel! worked like a charm

Simple Solution

New

gRe: PHP Limit Increase

I had same problem with my godaddy site simplylifetips.com and was struggling for 2 days to solve the issue.Today godaddy support asked over phone to increase the limit in php.ini. Before that I googled and found in one blog to create php.ini in wp_admin folder. Tried that also but didn't success. Just now googled and found this blog and done accordingly. Yoast pluging installed successfully. Thanks a lot.

Best answer after 2 hours of trial and error with other posted anwser

Thanks very much. You saved me additional time wasting. GoDaddy support was pretty useless.

New

How long did it take for the change to take effect? I've changed the file size to all of the different options and tried to upload DIVI with no luck. I keep getting the error message. So, I figure I'm being too impatient. Is this possible? Or am I missing something?

Increasing file upload size in media gallery

I am working in wordpress and need to increase the file size for uploads. How do I do that?

New

This is the fastest, easiest way to do it if you don't want to edit files manually or if GoDaddy's solutions don't work.

Thanks a bunch. You really saved my day. Been trying to increase my limit for a few hours now. Was literally shocked at how easy it was in the end to change it! 

Given solution didn't work for me.

i killed process multiple times, I am using cPanel.

any help would be appreciated.

New

Sorry. I am not an expert, just shared my experience what I learned from net. You can contact Godaddy support on phone.
Highlighted
New

Thanks Frank, tried everything else for like 2 hours and this was what finally worked!

i have applied this method(upload php.ini file into public_html and i have also uploaded php.ini in wp-admin folder but both are not work) so please help me asap..Thanks

Get this plugin "Upload Larger Plugins"  The other method did not work for me.  It is the best!!!

https://wordpress.org/plugins/upload-larger-plugins/

Thank you so much. This is worked for me.

This is the most straight forward easy option and directions ever. Thank you so much! I previously moved off of GoDaddy hosting because of this issue and no one could help me. I just moved back and bam here it is again. Thank you for solving this issue.

FRANK - YOUR THE MAN...Thanks!!!

@blueyess wrote:

Get this plugin "Upload Larger Plugins"  The other method did not work for me.  It is the best!!!

https://wordpress.org/plugins/upload-larger-plugins/

From the FAQ on the plugin "Upload Larger Plugin":

Does this plugin also enable the upload of larger themes?

No. It would not be a huge job to extend it to do so; but I have no reasons for doing that presently.

This did not work for me, btw. I am puzzled as to why this is happening. I have 7 add-on domains under my cPanel Linux Ultimate Hosting Package. I had to upload a new php.ini the very first time I installed a theme on the very first domain. Now I have added a seventh domain and I cannot get past this error when I try to install avada theme. (when I get this theme installed on the newest domain, I'll have 4 production websites on this host. The others are just sitting there and will remain test beds.)

Interestingly (or not) if I try to install the7 theme, I get another error. The page tab reads: Wordpress Failure Notice. On the page is written:

"Are you sure you want to do this?

Please try again."
T
here is no button to choose "Yes" that I am sure I want to do this.  I will research this separate error, I just wanted to mention it in case it gives anyone a clue.  My goal is to install Avada.

Thanks a ton to anyone who has taken the time to read this. Thanks a metric ton if you have a suggestion!

Editing the php values through the GUI worked for me:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdUlIkZcOe0&feature=youtu.be
Thank you user 

New

This is what my page looks like when Im trying to upload it. What options do I want? Thanks

Capture.PNG