cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

What are the steps to be able to use SVG files in a GoDaddy hosted Wordpress site?

Hello, 

What are the steps to be able to use SVG files in a GoDaddy hosted Wordpress site. Usually I use the editor in Wordpress to add a sniper of code to the theme's function.php file that allows for SVG file upload and use.

Please Help!

7 REPLIES 7
Super User III
Super User III

Re: SVG Files in Wordpress

Hey there @Drew_Triad 

Give this plugin a look. It might be what you need to get going. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

@MrVapor Unfortunately that plugin doesn't work. When I try to add SVG files to the media Library I still receive an error message.

Thanks!

Super User III
Super User III

Hmmm, are you on the Managed WordPress platform or just a cPanel installation?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Hi @Drew_Triad ,

Here is another plugin that may work https://wordpress.org/plugins/safe-svg/

It may be that because of security problems you may not be able to use svg on many managed hosting platforms and may have to make some file mods to get it to work correctly on many cPanels.  Here's a really good article about using different web image formats.   Here's the link.  There is a section dedicated to SVG's. 

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

Just the cPanel installation.

Thanks,

Thanks @JMPepper but I still get the HTTP Error. Usually I would just add this code to the functions.php file through the theme editor...

function allow_svgimg_types($mimes) {
  $mimes['svg'] = 'image/svg+xml';
  return $mimes;
}
add_filter('upload_mimes', 'allow_svgimg_types');

And never have had an issue. 

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I
Solution

Hi @Drew_Triad ,

Is this a shared cPanel installation?  On some of the lowered tiered platforms changing a file parameter may not override the limitations in place on the shared server.  Even though all looks and seems to function correctly there may be a restriction in place.

Also, have you tried uploading via sftp and then checking the media library?  I know this is not the preferred method, but perhaps it moves a step closer to figuring this out.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites