cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Why would my web designer need full access to my Godaddy account? Isn't delegate access enough?

Web designer is 90% done with our new site but has some issues he can't seem to fix. We already gave him delegate access to our Godaddy account, (everything except the billing info), but he says he can't fix these issues unless he has our username and password for the Godaddy account. Our site is Wordpress-based. We don't really know this dude...does this sound legit? And what could he possibly do with full access that he can't fix with the delegate access he already has? 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Annabanana777,

Welcome to the Community!

GoDaddy never recommends giving your login information to another party. While @PL281 is correct in a possible reason the designer needs access, this action provides too many opportunities for loss of product and compromise to your account. (Not said to scare you, just said as a result of trying to help frustrated customers unable to recover their accounts.) Designers have access through FTP and WP-Admin in order to make changes to a customers' websites. They can also use GoDaddy Pro (free) in their own account to manage external WordPress applications and websites. 

If a check is needed on server performance, we recommend getting the questions needed from the designer, and you personally calling the Hosting team, or Customer Care team to have them check for any issues on the GoDaddy side. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

@Annabanana777 

Ok based on what you have mentioned here, I'm guessing you are on Managed WordPress

As it is a managed platform you aren't able to adjust the PHP settings - I also question what they are trying to upload via the browser that is that large.

In regards to the FTP in the managed WordPress dashboard, you can click on the SSH/SFTP information and provide that to your developer and then they can FTP into the site as needed.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

5 REPLIES 5
Super User IV

@Annabanana777 

The only thing I can think of is if your designer feels there is something server related and needs to contact GoDaddy and therefore needs to authenticate (customer number / pin) 

If you can find out more about what the issue is or perhaps do a joint call with them / GoDaddy support 

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Hello folks, 

What the designer needs to finish is to make the "contact us" segment workable, and to add a "captcha" feature, plus to fix some rotating text that isn't rotating. 

Below is the explanation of the designer. Does this sound kosher?

1. PHP Post Max size: from 100MB to 256MB
2. PHP Max Input Vars: from 1000MB to 5000MB
3. Max Upload size: from 100MB to 128MB
4. Update the wordpress template
5. Upload bridge template via ftp

@Annabanana777 

Ok based on what you have mentioned here, I'm guessing you are on Managed WordPress

As it is a managed platform you aren't able to adjust the PHP settings - I also question what they are trying to upload via the browser that is that large.

In regards to the FTP in the managed WordPress dashboard, you can click on the SSH/SFTP information and provide that to your developer and then they can FTP into the site as needed.

Hi @Annabanana777,

Welcome to the Community!

GoDaddy never recommends giving your login information to another party. While @PL281 is correct in a possible reason the designer needs access, this action provides too many opportunities for loss of product and compromise to your account. (Not said to scare you, just said as a result of trying to help frustrated customers unable to recover their accounts.) Designers have access through FTP and WP-Admin in order to make changes to a customers' websites. They can also use GoDaddy Pro (free) in their own account to manage external WordPress applications and websites. 

If a check is needed on server performance, we recommend getting the questions needed from the designer, and you personally calling the Hosting team, or Customer Care team to have them check for any issues on the GoDaddy side. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support