cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Wordpress, SMTP, GoDaddy and Gmail

Looking for some help in getting all these things to talk nicely to each other. I have a Wordpress blog setup on my Linux Hosting account with several contributing writers. I realized (after a much longer time than I care to admit) that I was no longer receiving email notifications when a post had been submitted and was ready to be reviewed before being published.

I'm not entirely sure when it started or why, but when I tried looking into the problem, I was bombarded with a tree-full of branching reasons, none of which I've been able to resolve.

Important details:

• I'm using the latest Wordpress
  • I recently installed the Mail Bank plugin for receiving notifications (I've tried others as well)
  • All of my email goes through Gmail and my GoDaddy MX records have been updated to reflect that fact.
  • I've created an OAuth 2.0 client ID in the Google API (required in order to use Gmail, according to the plugin)

If I set up the plug-in to use phpMail, it just flat out fails. The test reports that the email was sent successfully, but I never get the message. My understanding is that GoDaddy blocks the use of the function unless you've got some hi-falutin account and/or you're using a non-third party email (i.e. Gmail).

When I set up the plug-in to use SMTP, I provide all of the gmail server info (smtp.gmail.com, TLS/SSL, port 587/465) as well as the Client ID and Secret Key obtained from the google API.

When I hit test this time, it asks for permission to send/receive/manage email (which I expected). After allowing it permission, I'm taken to a debug screen that reports Connection Refused.

Bottom line is that I can't seem to find the right combinations of settings between Wordpress, Gmail and GoDaddy to have the blog send me a few emails a week. Has anyone had success here?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Wordpress, SMTP, GoDaddy and Gmail

Hi @jedimasta,

It's hard to look further into this without the hosted domain name. I suggest reaching out to our support team to look into this. 

KayJay - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Did you ever find a resolution for this?  We're having exactly the same issue.

Solution

I ended up adding a new plugin called Postman SMTP and used the Gmail API setup with it successfully.