• VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

SERVER DOWN after updating WHM/cPanel

I, my name is Alex, I'm the IT Manager of my company.

Our dedicated server went down after updating the WHM. Once I rebooted the server, it never came back up. It has been 50 minutes now.
    One of our websites, hosted on this server has more than a half a million users! I'm shaking.

I'm calling GoDaddy Support, for about 40 minutes now. The first 2 though the problem is mine. It isn't, I can't even PING the IP Address, I get request timed out. I can assure you that our server is down and I need someone to "put it on".

I even tried doing two "Power Cycles" directly through Godaddy Dashboard account, and I think it does the power cycle, but something is wrong, because I can't access anything, neither the WHM, cPanel or even pinging the IP.

Can someone help me out? It's URGENT.

Kind Regards,
    Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@AlexRod 

Thanks for providing the IP.  I was able to find your dedicated server and the console was stuck on the grub prompt.  I believe a kernel update may have modified/removed necessary files required to boot.  Maybe double check your grub2 config and that the initramfs and kernel files referenced by grub are all there.  I was able to configure your server to network boot for now, so it should be back up and running and subsequent power cycles should work.  You will want to consider backing up your files.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
    Super User IV

@AlexRod 

We are end users and therefore don't have access to your account, is this a Gen3 VPS or a Gen4?

This sounds like something got corrupted on the server - There should be a snapshot available to restore the server. 

Just out of curiosity what is the IP address of your server?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hi there!

We've a Gen4 Linux. Our ip is XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.

All the best,
    Alex

@AlexRod 

Are you able to get to the Recovery Console in the GoDaddy Dashboard?? It definitely looks like the server is offline and GoDaddy support needs to get involved - hopefully if the server has to be rebuilt you should have the weekly backup - it just is a question of what data was changed between the last backup and today

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

We can not afford a rebuild. The last backup was last week. We've a lot of data which we cannot afford to lose. 
    They/we have to find a way around... 

@AlexRod 

As I said at this point you'll need to reach out to GoDaddy as their tech leads / server admins will need to address it.

Given that the Gen 4 have SSD, I would say hardware failure at least of the hard drive is not as likely, but also not out of the range of possibility - I've never had a server crash after WHM update - what's odd though is even if the WHM somehow failed, I would expect that you could still get onto the server - as WHM is just a service it isn't the core system.

@AlexRod 

Thanks for providing the IP.  I was able to find your dedicated server and the console was stuck on the grub prompt.  I believe a kernel update may have modified/removed necessary files required to boot.  Maybe double check your grub2 config and that the initramfs and kernel files referenced by grub are all there.  I was able to configure your server to network boot for now, so it should be back up and running and subsequent power cycles should work.  You will want to consider backing up your files.

View solution in original post

Thank you very much @scottj ! You saved my life and my job. Doing a total backup right now, and for sure, I'm going to daily backups and I'm considering in buying backup and cache servers, just in case.

Much appreciated to everybody who tried to help, specially you @scottj, hope you have a great day!

All the best,

Alex

Good day @scottj !

My name is Reggie, CTO of my company. I also having same problem after i reboot the server. Hope you can also help us. Thank you!

Gen4 Linux. Our IP is 151.106.34.57

@rzb6685 

Reggie, I see you have a pending support request and that your issue is a little different but being investigated.  Your server should be back up at this time. Thanks for calling in to support and having them create a support ticket.  That is ultimately the best and quickest way to get support.

There does seem to be an issue with a kernel update on some configurations of dedicated servers that breaks the booting process and the boot gets stuck on the grub prompt.  We are investigating the cause and hope to fix soon.  If you experience this issue, please contact support so they can help you get your server back online.

We apologize for the inconvenience and down time this has caused.

Thank you for the reply and helping in resolving this.