cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHP 7 - For GoDaddy Developers

PHP 7 was officially released nearly two years ago in December of 2015. PHP 5.6 is no longer under active development and is currently only receiving the necessary updates. PHP 7 has been the most recent and stable version of PHP for over a year. Now, may you ask, why does GoDaddy not support PHP 7? Well, I have no idea.

According to a cPanel blog post made over a year ago, support for PHP 7 is available and recommended. The post can be found at https://blog.cpanel.com/php-7-is-here/. However, the team at GoDaddy seems to have no want to upgrade or even allow their clients and customers to have the option to upgrade.

As of right now, PHP 7 is the most used version of PHP. Many web applications suggest that users upgrade, and considering that PHP 7 has major improvements over older versions, these applications have every right to do so. Support for PHP 5.6 has gone down as developers have begun relying on PHP 7 for its functionality and speed.

I've read a few other posts here on the forums about the release of PHP 7. A GoDaddy trusted adviser said the following on https://www.godaddy.com/community/cPanel-Hosting/PHP-7-or-Switch/m-p/51405:

Spoiler

there is actually a very good reason to be conservative with updating php too soon,

the fact I stated before, millions of sites running 5.6! As like you said, most site owners are not developers, most do not understand the implications. 

A moot point though is that there has been an ignorant bastardisation of the term 'developer' used by designers because it sounds grander. Those using Wordpress or any other CMS are designers not developers. Developers write code and software and even the software for Wordpress. This is just a moot point and nobody really cares until it comes to understanding code and the implications of upgrading too soon. 

Or when it comes to setting a fee for work!! Make sure you are not paying developer rates for a designer 😊

Another slight point is that if you wanted the fastest site then drop Wordpress and get a developer hand coded site. 

No good putting race tires and bucket seats on a old banger of a car 🚗!!

Wordpress serves a lot of purpose but it is the 'manufactured white bread' of websites compared to the  'home baked wholesome' bread of websites. The white bread manufactured and processed needs lots of vitamins added after it's baked, and lots of filling for taste....

the home baked bread just needs a knob of butter and it's a meal.

It's only the Wordpress users here who constantly scream out for updates, why?, because they have no control over updates of plugins and Wordpress itself, and because Wordpress by it's very design is often slow. So Wordpress affiliates think that they must have the very latest updates and that that will be...... The magic bullet!!! They gather plugins like an addiction, in fact it is an addictive personality trait to be constantly checking for newer and bigger and better, hoping to gain that edge on the competition. Where all along using less or more reliable plugins would have speeded up their site!

Or even better, a hand coded developer site!!

Truth hurts but I would rather hear an ugly truth, than a beautiful lie...........

Most of all the points this user made are inaccurate. Just because sites refuse to update does not mean that users who do want to update should not have the option available to them. Yes, millions of sites do use PHP 5.6, but many of them do so because they are limited just like GoDaddy cPanel users. We are offered the ability to use outdated versions of PHP that some software developers may not even give out support for.

There is absolutely no reason to need to drop WordPress. WordPress is a great CMS that is reliable and widely-used. I, myself, am a developer and I make sites from scratch. I use a wide variety of PHP versions to test for flaws and compatibility issues. PHP 7 is the current stable release of PHP, and to offer support for PHP 7, I need to be able to test my web applications with PHP 7.

Am I a WordPress user? No. I don't use WordPress. However, I do want to see updates. GoDaddy, no matter the reason, should not be nearly two years behind in support for stable released of software. I have full control over the updates I release and if I wish to continue using GoDaddy and making web applications efficient, I need support for PHP 7 to be added.

I was just in a chat with a GoDaddy support representative. They told me that support for PHP 7 is supposed to be added soon, but yet there is no ETA because their developers have not given them one. I understand that GoDaddy uses a very unique implementation of cPanel, but I am also guessing cPanel has not been updated in a while at GoDaddy, because, as I said above, support for PHP 7 in cPanel has been available for over a year.

The developers at GoDaddy obviously have no idea how to correctly update their software and this needs to change.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: PHP 7 - For GoDaddy Developers

We just checked our Godaddy Cpanel Shared hosting and PHP 7.1 is now available... finally.

Product Team
Product Team

@mathhulk

Exciting news to all GoDaddy cPanel users. Your account is now updated with the latest PHP 7.0 and 7.1! If you want to update, login to your cPanel dashboard. Then under the Software heading click “Select PHP version”. In the top left of the PHP selection page use the dropdown the PHP version you want and click set as current. You are now ready to go! But a heads-up before you update, I recommend you check you site for compatibility first. If you have any questions our customer support team is happy to help 24/7. Just call (480) 505-8877.

- Paul Seguritan, cPanel Product Manager

@PaulJS

Could you please tell me the correct file handler code for htacess? I've been looking everywher I can find in the knowledgebase and can't seem to find it. Our site was just upgraded to PHP 71 but our htaccess file is protected by a security plugin so it wasn't able to write it to htaccess and the security plugin is still reading 5.4.45 on our site. I'm not sure I want to use 7.1 but would be thrilled to have 7.0 fully implemented. Thanks.