cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

PHP 7 or Switch

1. 6/7/2017 I just called Go daddy hosting support, apparently there is no news of an upgrade. So time to drop GoDaddy 

Here's what is being suggested by my developer. 

Ok, so let's start with the server. First, you're running PHP 5.6. You should be running 7. Here's why. 

• Site speed – PHP 7 can handle uncached hits 2-3x faster than on PHP 5.5
  • Resource efficiency – An upgrade to PHP 7 is estimated to bring 30-50% improvements in memory consumption
  • Service more concurrent users – PHP 7 can serve up to 3x as many requests per second and handle more traffic with the same number of resources
  • Return type declarations – You can now specify return type variables with PHP 7
  • Error handling – Many fatal errors have been replaced with object-oriented exceptions to make it easier to find and address bugs
  • Long-term support – Lower technical debt with ongoing support of bug fixes, security patches, and maintenance updates for years to come
Go Daddy shared hosting does not support an upgrade to 7. That's a problem. You need to change hosts. You can get it through the company I work for, or any other hosting company that has php 7. I would stay away from lightsail....they do not offer cpanel. Unless you're familiar using the command line, I'd stay away from it. Don't you have email addresses for work as well? If not, you should. So that's where we're stuck right now. We need to get the site migrated to another hosting provider.
16 REPLIES 16
New

Re: PHP 7 or Switch

Most of us use WordPress, because we're not developers. PHP 7 would make WordPress sites faster. I've known my developer since grade school.

Dude's not steering me in the wrong direction. There's no reason to not update to new technology.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @C_Hon,

there is actually a very good reason to be conservative with updating php too soon,

the fact I stated before, millions of sites running 5.6! As like you said, most site owners are not developers, most do not understand the implications. 

A moot point though is that there has been an ignorant bastardisation of the term 'developer' used by designers because it sounds grander. Those using Wordpress or any other CMS are designers not developers. Developers write code and software and even the software for Wordpress. This is just a moot point and nobody really cares until it comes to understanding code and the implications of upgrading too soon. 

Or when it comes to setting a fee for work!! Make sure you are not paying developer rates for a designer 😊

Another slight point is that if you wanted the fastest site then drop Wordpress and get a developer hand coded site. 

No good putting race tires and bucket seats on a old banger of a car 🚗!!

Wordpress serves a lot of purpose but it is the 'manufactured white bread' of websites compared to the  'home baked wholesome' bread of websites. The white bread manufactured and processed needs lots of vitamins added after it's baked, and lots of filling for taste....

the home baked bread just needs a knob of butter and it's a meal.

It's only the Wordpress users here who constantly scream out for updates, why?, because they have no control over updates of plugins and Wordpress itself, and because Wordpress by it's very design is often slow. So Wordpress affiliates think that they must have the very latest updates and that that will be...... The magic bullet!!! They gather plugins like an addiction, in fact it is an addictive personality trait to be constantly checking for newer and bigger and better, hoping to gain that edge on the competition. Where all along using less or more reliable plugins would have speeded up their site!

Or even better, a hand coded developer site!!

Truth hurts but I would rather hear an ugly truth, than a beautiful lie...........

New
New

@C_Hon

Your developer is absolutely right. PHP 7 has great improvement over earlier version of PHP. Remember PHP 7.0 was released in 2015. Considering the benefits of PHP 7, if a host still does not support it after 2 years, then they are too outdated.

Secondly, PHP 5.6 is no more in active development, it would receive only security updates now. More websites are running 5.6 and even older unsupported versions but this does not mean they are right.

I manage hundreds of websites on different version, and I can tell you that PHP 7 is a great upgrade.

Best of Luck

We just checked our Godaddy Cpanel Shared hosting and PHP 7.1 is now available... has anyone else noticed this?

We've been waiting for way too long now, not sure if it's actually true...

New

Yep seeing 7.0 and 7.1 both in cPanel hosting (actually 7.0.20). Just saw it yesterday myself and successfully updated to 7.0 this morning. So far so good.

Product Team
Product Team
Solution

@C_Hon

Exciting news to all GoDaddy cPanel users. Your account is now updated with the latest PHP 7.0 and 7.1! If you want to update, login to your cPanel dashboard. Then under the Software heading click “Select PHP version”. In the top left of the PHP selection page use the dropdown the PHP version you want and click set as current. You are now ready to go! But a heads-up before you update, I recommend you check you site for compatibility first. If you have any questions our customer support team is happy to help 24/7. Just call (480) 505-8877.

- Paul Seguritan, cPanel Product Manager

This pretty ominous "...check your site for compatibility first" cautionary phrase is pretty chilling to those of us who have NO IDEA what to check and find out whether our sites are compatible! Especially if hosting several sites, as I am! The last thing needed is several broken sites because of an upgrade.

What exactly makes a site incompatible with PHP 7 or 7.1?

I have VPS and that option is not on my server's cpanel.  Called godaddy and they said it was there.  I asked them to look at my cpanel, because it's not there, and they said no, they dont do that.  I don't understand.  Then the support person said i could pay to have my server upgraded.  why would i pay for it to be upgraded when this post says i can do it myself?  but he option this post says is in my server, is not.

i guess it is time to switch hosting.

I have PHP 5.3.24 and I would like to migrate to 5.6 or 7.0, but I do not know how to.

¿any one know how to do it?

Thank.

Helper I

I was able to upgrade by calling customer service a few hours back.  Well, they transferred me to the hosting department.  I explained everything and they "were" able to help me.  They said it was a server-wide issue but he got it fixed (at least on my end).  But now, while it shows 7.1 in the cPanel, when I run SSH (command prompt) to run update scripts "php -i" yields that I am still on 5.4.45.  I am not sure if the system just needs to update or whether there's something on my end I have to do but if I find a solution I'll let you know!

Helper I
Solution

You should be able to update your PHP version by clicking on "Select PHP version" under the "Software" section in cPanel.

You should be able to upgrade to PHP 7.0 and 7.1.  To update that version in SSH, add 

alias php=/opt/alt/php71/usr/bin/php

to the page .bash_profile in your root directory and then go to SSH and type 

. ~/.bash_profile

and php -v should finally display the current php version rather than native 5.4.45.

Hey Paul! - I can't see this option in GoDaddy VPS CPanel called "Select PHP version". Instead, I could see only PHP 

Any word on when HTTP/2 is coming to cPanel?

This is a total Fraud on the part of Godaddy. They know that VPS don't have php 7 and yet they lie. They don't want to replace the old hardware in there server farms so it's just not an option on the VPS. They have been know to modify scripts to make it appear that you have php7, but make sure you confirm.