cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Site messed up by Godaddy

My site goes down and I have contacted Godaddy regarding this.

They said that the issue was with .htaccess file and corrected now. And the site is back again as normal. But we actually did't modified any site contents including db. 

So we asked the reason for why the file got corrupted automatically, because the site was working fine after deployment and a day before contacting. He said will explain in 4-5 minutes. After that the entire site got broken including wp-admin, which was working earlier(before contacting GoDaddy).

Then the chat continued for about 1:30 minutes and finally the disabled all the plugins and said, the issue was with plugin, and you have to correct it.

The conclusion is that they messed up all the site contents and asked me to correct. They put some additional files in my site directory as well.

What a great support from Godaddy.......

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Site messed up by Godaddy

Hey there @jojigeorge009,

The .htaccess file frequently has errors due to things like additions of plugins or themes that change the code in the file and conflict with other code in the WP installation. This usually causes a PHP fatal error.

I'm guessing you put either a caching plugin or a security plugin on your site and then everything stopped working.

Any additional scripts that were added in your hosting directory was a troubleshooting script and would not negatively affect the operation of your site. 

So, the GoDaddy rep did exactly what they should have done. They're your hosting company, not your web developer. Content and issues with content on your website are your responsibility. Honestly, the GoDaddy rep went above and beyond ensuring you could get back into your wp-admin. They aren't supposed to do that.

If you need help with development, GoDaddy offers WP Premium Support, you can hire a developer, or you can do the research and correct the issue yourself. 

Good luck with your site!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I am not convinced with your justification about the issue. The site content with all its plugin were working fine previously. There were no addition of plugins or site content modification made and hence that is not the cause of the issue. Moreover we could see the additional files that you mentioned, that were added for troubleshooting. This was done without intimating us.

We have a full fledged team for site development.

Regards

Joji George

Super User III
Super User III

If you accessed your site, wrote a post, updated a page, anything at all... that can break your site.

I'm sorry you don't want to accept the answer, but that is the answer. 

If you have a full-fledged team for web development, then I would consult with them on what the issue is or hire new developers.

Good luck!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community