cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cPanel Web Disk With Windows 10

After initializing my web site with cPanel the next step was to setup direct file access from my Windows 10 laptop to the sites file storage. I figured using Web Disk to a drive letter would be the best way for me to accomplish this. After following the step-by-step instruction I was not able to make the connection using the provided VB script or manually setting this up in file explorer. Gave me a message stating the file path I was using was invalid and I should try another one. I tried off and on for two days to get it working and then decided to try it on my Mac following the instructions provided for OSX. On the first try is worked on the Mac. So this told me the problem was with Windows 10 and Web Disk. I called Go Daddy support and explained my Windows 10 problem and my success with Mac OSX. The tech was very nice and was able to duplicate the problem with a Windows 10 pc on his end. After going back and forth with the tech trying different options for 45 min he decided to escalate the problem and I decided to move on with the rest of my day. The next day I received a message saying they believe they had resolved the problem. So I tried again and it failed the same way as before. After a bunch of searching on the web I found an article stating that a registry change is required to get Web Disk (WebDav) working on Win 7, Vist, Win 8, Win 10.

In HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters change the BasicAuthLevel from 1 to 2.  I made the registry change and it still failed to connect. Then I decided to reboot and BAM! it worked. Hope this helps some one else a few days of frustration. 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: cPanel Web Disk With Windows 10

Hey @zero-2-6t

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Thank you for taking the time to share this find! Sorry to hear you had a little bit of a hassle getting it setup in the first place, but at least you got it fully worked out in the end.

I'm sure other members here will appreciate your hard work through this! Smiley Wink

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

@zero-2-6t,

Sorry, but the explanation on how to use Windows 10 is somewhat lacking for my understanding.  Could you spell out the fix.

thanks,

steve

My explanation was intended to be high-level. If you can tell me what you need more information about I might be able to help. 

I know this is an old topic, but this is my last lead to try to solve this. 

I went into windows registry editor, and followed your file path "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters" up until Services. After that there is no "web client" folder, only "TSDDD" No subfolders have the name "web client" or "parameters" either. 

I've tried everything else. Added firewall inbound rules for both ports, restarted, called customer service, tried to connect through BitKinex... I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. 

In the mean time I'll just have to stick to FTP :[

Can somebody from GoDaddy Tech please publish a comprehensive fix for accessing the web disk from Windows 10. It should at least be a standard selection on the webdisk page.  There area few people using Windows 10 as I can tell, and some of them would like to use web disk without the hassle.

Thanks

Amen to that!  I know I'm a total n00b here, but really want to learn everything there is about Hosting and would love to utilize Web Disk.

I have Windows 10 and can't seem to get it setup..

How would one go about making that specific registry change?

I am able to access 'regedit', but where can I locate 
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters

I can't seem to find it anywhere

Okay, as a Windows 10 Professional users we can honestly say there is no need to edit the registry in order to get this to work. The problem isn't anything to do with the webclient registry settings, your firewall, or anything like that. It does however have everything to do Windows Explorer (which we will refer to as Explorer from now on). Explorer still has the same issue that it did in Windows 7, it can't always resolve DNS. This means it doesn't know the IP address of the FQDN like somedomain.com, and this is why you get those errors regarding it cannot find the location, etc. So how do we fix this? Well in short, you can't, but you can however tell it use the actual IP address of the host rather than the FQDN (fully qualified domain name). So here is how we connect our Web Disk....You will need to be logged in to your cPanel and in the web disk module. Now that you've done that just follow the steps below. 

Replace yourdomain.com with the your actual domain in the steps below.

1. Create a new Web Disk user and enable digital digest for it or just click enable digital digest for the default user.
  2. Now click on Access Web Disk and from the Windows drop-down select Windows 8.
  3. Download the Quick Start Script then browse to the file on your system. (This file will have a name like yourdomain.com WebDisk.vbs)
  4. Right-click the file and select edit
  5. Inside the file you will want to locate the following line "\\yourdomain.com@2077\DavWWWRoot" (Replace yourdomain.com with your actual domain that you are trying to access)
  6. Now the you have located that, it's time to open up command prompt on your PC. (If you do not know how to do this, simply right-click on the Windows start button and select run then type CMD and hit enter or click okay.)
  7. Next in the command prompt window we will need to get the IP address of the domain/server we are trying to connect to. To do this we type ping yourdomain.com and then press enter. (This will spit out approx 5-6 lines in the window. Take note of the IP address it shows.)
  8. Now you that you have the IP address go back to the edit window of the vbs file we downloaded a few moments ago. 
  9. Replace the yourdomain.com with the IP address you got from the command prompt window in the line we looked for earlier "\\yourdomain.com@2077\DavWWWRoot" it should now look something similar to this "\\127.0.0.1@2077\DavWWWRoot" without the quotes and obviously the IP will be different.
  10. Save the changes and close the file, and you can also close the command prompt window now as well.
  11. Double click on the VBS script we just edited in order to establish the connection your Web Disk (Remember the user/password will either be the default one which should be the same as your cPanel login or if you created a new user then it will be those credentials. (Make sure you select Remember Password)

We hope this guide was not only helpful but informative as well. Ch33rs!

Creating a network folder to edit files in my public_html folder.

Hello, I have a site being developed on http://dev.mydomain.co.uk, I want to map a network drive to this location so I don't have to make my code edits within the File Manager or keep uploading then using that quite horrific interface. 

Is this possible? I've had no luck as of yet. Thanks

This  "fix" didn't work for me.   First off, there's actually two lines in the  VBS script.

strURL = "\\yourdomain.com@SSL@2078\DavWWWRoot" ' This is the URL to the WebDAV share.
strDomainPort = "yourdomain.com@SSL@2078"

You instruction  doesn't say whether to modify the second line or not.

You get a can't connect message.  The VBS script actually works fine as-is on my Win 10 but a client of mine running Win10 it gets the unable to resolve issue.  No fix found yet (except to use something like Mountain Duck)  Good 'ole reliable Microsoft Software.

Just a guess but,  you can't access a website by the IP address unless that is the only website on that IP.  So this solution MAY work in the case you are using a dedicated and not a shared IP.

New

Re: Creating a network folder to edit files in my public_html folder.

OMG it finally worked, this what i did.

1. I created another account in Web Disk with enabled Digest Authentication.
  2. I went in Regedit and changed from 1 to 2 then reboot pc.
  3. enter your pc press Map Network Drive enter as suggested in step 5 of Manual Connection Instructions:
  4. Enter your Web Disk username@domainname, and password from step 3 of Create a Web Disk shortcut on your desktop:

And voila it was added as a network drive in my computer, the main problem was that i was inputting my username without "@domainname" also not sure if the other steps were needed will test later with my default account and without edit in Regedit.

Re: Creating a network folder to edit files in my public_html folder.

@CurtisYH wrote:

Hello, I have a site being developed on http://dev.mydomain.co.uk, I want to map a network drive to this location so I don't have to make my code edits within the File Manager or keep uploading then using that quite horrific interface. 

Is this possible? I've had no luck as of yet. Thanks

If you are still trying to figure out, I might have a solution for you. In Windows 10, there is no need to edit registry keys through "regedit" or download any VBS Script as discussed earlier. Also, if you are fearing about the security of the connection, I also did the same. So, there is no need to enable Digest Authentication for the Web Disk user.

This is a step by step process to create Web Disk in Windows 10.

1. Go to cPanel and you must find the address in the URL something like "https://sg2plcpnlXXXX.prod.sin2.secureserver.net:2083/. You need this for security reason, not your domain name.
  2. Open This PC (⊞ Win+E) and click on Map Network Drive.
  3. Assign a letter to the drive and in the Folder address, specify "\\sg2plcpnlXXXX.prod.sin2.secureserver.net@SSL@2078\DavWWWRoot".
  4. Select the checkbox that says "Connect using different credentials".
  5. Once you click finish, it will ask you for the username and password. Provide the username (like name@domain.com) and the password you specified during the creation of Web Disk user.
  6. Super! You can now start using the disk you just created.

If you find any difficulties going by these steps, just reply me. I would be happy assisting you.