About .it Domains
Register.it is the sponsor and Hexonet aka 1 Api GmbH is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) .it extension that represents Italy.
Who can register .it domains?
Individual and juridical persons residing in or belonging to a European Union Member State or United Kingdom can register .it domain names. All others can use our trustee service to register a .it domain.
When registering a .it domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 3 - 63 Characters
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters of the domain name)
- Cannot use: Special characters (e.g., & and #)
- IDNs: Not supported
- Registration length: 1 year
- Renewal length: 1 year
- You can renew .it domain names when they are within 61 days prior to the expiration date, but you must renew them before their expiration date. The renewal date depends on whether the domain name is auto-renewed or renewed manually. Auto-renewal is attempted 5 days prior to the domain name's expiration. If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal 2 days prior to expiration. If the second attempt fails, we try one more time 12 days after the expiration date.
- If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew it 12 days after the expiration date, it must be redeemed. There might be a fee for the redemption. See Renew my expired domain for instructions on the redemption.
- For example: Your .it domain name expires on January 31. If your domain name does not renew automatically, you can renew it manually by February 12. For automatic renewals, we attempt to renew the domain name on January 26, January 29, and February 12.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to GoDaddy: Supported
- Must Use: 2 - 63 Characters
- Trustee Service is not supported for transferred domains.
- Transfers away from GoDaddy: Supported
- Transfer Lock: Not Supported
- You must initiate the transfer with the gaining registrar, who will require the registrant to provide an authorization code for the transfer. Contact our GoDaddy Guides to request the authorization code.
- Transfers to another GoDaddy account: Not supported
- Basic privacy protection: Not supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Supported
- CashParking: Not supported
- Contact Updates: Supported
- To update the domain's contact information, please contact our GoDaddy Guides.
- Must use: 1-6 Nameservers, Authoritative Nameservers
- Can use: IPv4, IPv6
- Cannot use: Host Names, DNSSEC
For details on refunds, see our refund policy. Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms, and then Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
Contact our GoDaddy Guides.