Add a TXT record
Add a TXT record to verify domain ownership, complete SSL verification, and create email sender policies, such as SPF records and DMARC policies. A TXT record (short for text record) is an informational DNS record used to associate a text string with a host or other name.
- Sign in to your GoDaddy Domain Portfolio. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
- Select Domain Edit Options next to your domain and then select Edit DNS. You may need to scroll down to see the Edit DNS option.
- Select Add to add a new record.
- Select TXT from the Type menu options.
- Enter the details for your TXT record:
- Name: The host name for the record. Type @ to put the TXT record on your root domain, or enter a prefix such as mail.
- Value: The text string for the TXT record. This is usually provided by your SSL, hosting or email provider. TXT records have a maximum character limit of 1024 and only UTF-8 characters are supported.
- TTL: How long the server should cache information. The default setting is 1 hour.
- Select Add Record to save your new TXT record.
Most DNS updates take effect within an hour, but could take up to 48 hours to update globally.
- Edit an existing TXT record if you need to make any changes.
- Check out how TXT records can be used as an SPF record to help prevent email spoofing.
- Create a template to quickly apply DNS records to your domains.
- Keep your domains organized with folders and domain profiles.