Gen 3 VPS & Dedicated Servers end of support
Gen 3 VPS & Dedicated Servers run on software that will no longer receive security maintenance by the end of 2022. To ensure the highest level of security for your server, all Gen 3 VPS & Dedicated servers will need to be migrated.
Select a question to see its answer:
- What should I do next?
- What if I can't proactively migrate?
- What will change after an automated migration?
- Why is my Gen 3 Dedicated server migrating to Gen 4 VPS?
What should I do next?
We strongly recommend you take this opportunity to proactively migrate to the latest Gen 4 VPS or Gen 4 Dedicated offerings. This requires purchasing a new plan in advance so that you have time to move data, test your new server, change your DNS, and otherwise make the transition as smooth as possible. Contact our Guides to see if you qualify for a Gen 3 proactive migration credit for your account.
What if I can't proactively migrate?
If you're unable to proactively migrate, we’ll attempt to automatically migrate your Gen 3 server to a Gen 4 server that is closest in features to your existing plan. Migrations are expected to begin August 2022 and are expected to run through 2023. You will receive an email with your migration date at least 5 days in advance.
Once the migration begins, an email will be sent to the address in your Contact Preferences, and a banner will appear in your GoDaddy account. Your server will be stopped and inaccessible during the attempted migration. The downtime will depend on the size of your server and could take multiple hours. You'll be informed by email once the migration is complete or if the migration has failed, in which case your Gen 3 server will be restarted and you will receive a follow-up email with next steps.
What will change after an automated migration?
After an automated migration, most of your Gen 3 server features will be unchanged until you perform a server rebuild.
Read the list below to see what features may be lost or changed as a result of an automated migration or server rebuild:
- Server Backups (Snapshots): You'll no longer have access to any Gen 3 server backups you created before the automated migration. With your Gen 4 server, automated backups occur daily, and you will be able to create on-demand server backups. On Gen 4, server backups are destroyed each time a rebuild is performed.
- Operating System (OS): Your current Gen 3 OS will continue running after the automated migration. After a server rebuild, only the new Gen 4 OS will be available:
Note: If you are paying for a Gen 3 Windows server, but are using a Linux OS when the server is migrated, you will be moved to a Gen 4 Linux plan.
- Gen 4 Linux: Ubuntu 20.04 or 22.04, CentOS 7, or Alma Linux 8.
- Gen 4 Windows: Windows Server 2019 or 2022.
- IP Addresses: All IP addresses associated with your Gen 3 server will be migrated. After a server rebuild, all Gen 3 IP addresses will be removed and replaced with new ones. The maximum number of additional IP addresses will also be reset to fit the Gen 4 VPS product specifications. If you add domains to your server after the rebuild, you'll need update DNS to point those domains to your new IP addresses.
- Single Sign-On: You'll need to manually sign in to Plesk or cPanel to until a server rebuild is performed. As a reminder, a server rebuild erases all your data and Gen 3 IP addresses.
- Monitoring: Available after a server rebuild is performed. As a reminder, a server rebuild erases all your data and Gen 3 IP addresses.
- Microsoft SQL Server (MSSQL): Licenses will continue running after the automated migration. After a server rebuild, MSSQL licenses will no longer be available. Most users opt to install the free version, Microsoft SQL Server Express.
- Site Backup: Will not be migrated to Gen 4. Once migrated, you'll have access to Gen 4 backup offerings and will no longer be billed for Site Backup.
Why is my Gen 3 Dedicated server automatically migrating to Gen 4 VPS?
Because of the way Gen 3 Dedicated servers are virtualized, these will be migrated to a Gen 4 VPS server. If you'd like to migrate to a Gen 4 Dedicated Server, contact us and our Guides will assist in finding a solution that best fits your needs.