View message trace details
After you run a message trace in the Exchange admin center, you can see all emails involving your users. View the details of each individual message to find out what happened to it.
Required: If you haven’t already, follow the instructions to run a message trace, and then come back to this article.
- Make sure you’re on the Message trace search results page.
- To view the details of a message, select it from the list. The message trace details will open.
- Expand Message events to see what happened to the message.
- For outbound messages, you can see events up until it left the Microsoft system (an event called Send external).
- For inbound messages, you can see events after it entered the Microsoft system, like when the message was delivered to an inbox, moved to another folder, or deleted.